Photobucket

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2014 3:01 pm  #1

#1 Reason For Turnover In The AB World

Steve Green asked this question a few years ago on Kimerys board and I thought it was a interesting topic:

In YOUR opinion, what is the main reason people come and go in this breed?

2/21/2014 3:11 pm  #2

Re: #1 Reason For Turnover In The AB World

The people involved in the breed. OVerall I would say most people are decent, but there are a good number of very influential people in the breed who seem to be lesss than desirable human beings it seems.

Also, I can only assume because AB's are supposed to be more intimidating dogs, the amount of insecure fake macho idiots that have their egos completely tied up in the dogs and get involved with them is a much higher percentage than in most breeds.

People refusing to sticking to standards and only breeding for fads and sales.

People consistently stating "I breed for what I like" insteadof breeding what is good for the breed in general and to standard probably turns away most people who would like to get involved.

The ridiculous behavior exhibited on the boards, and the worst behavior is by some of the biggest breeders. When people just starting out see it on a daily basis has to discourage them.

No money. Dogs are expensive, period.

2/21/2014 4:37 pm  #3

Lack of commitment, the loss of freedom due to being tied down by having to care for the animals. Realizing it takes more work, time, and money than previously expected.

2/21/2014 5:24 pm  #4

I think its simple. LOVE for the breed. people who truly love the breed stay no matter WHAT happens no matter WHAT they go through. i myself have said to myself IM DONE,IM OUT but the reality is that when i look at my dog and all the HAPPY times we shared showing,happy times we had with other bulldoggers AFTER the competition it just sucks me back in. being able to meet the people who are WELL known along with their dogs is a memory i will always cherish. being able to see the SO CALLED great dogs and ASSES them with my own eyes instead of pictures. all of these things are the reason why IM still here.though the majority of this showing of mine was done 6-8 years ago i still get a rush when i think about those good times. but the reality is most people get the dog love it,think theres a profit in these dogs and quickly lose interest.it was never about the profit for me what i wanted to do was CREATE another dog like my boy but that too i found out was not easy.so TODAY all i want is to COMPETE in the show ring and if im succesful get into weight puling with my next pup. i live bout 80 miles from the most SOUTHERN tip of the states so for me to just LEAVE florida its one hell of a trip so imagine me going to texas,st lous etc etc with a truck full of two CRAZY ass kids and what will be a new born when i start showing my new pup along with a pup lol BUT i did it and will do it AGAIN cause i just love to BULLDOG. everything that i just mention is called what ? COMMITMENT. though different than other COMMITMENTS still to be here TYPING as much,to still be HERE after all these years without the purpose of being known just giving my opinons its called what ? COMMITMENT and thats the REASON why we see so many COME and GO cause of a lack of what ? you got it COMMITMENT

I'D RATHER DIE LIKE A MAN THAN LIVE LIKE A COWARD.....

2/22/2014 8:18 am  #5

Sadly many new fanciers start off on the wrong foot with bad breed reps...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

2/22/2014 9:26 am  #6

Uncle Ish wrote:

I can't tell you how many contacts I've had from people looking for a pup that had gone through multiple bad business deals with some of the more infamous breeders. 

These folks have often gone through 2 or 3 pups that didn't work out.  They just want a decent pup that lives up to all the hype they saw on the message boards.  Many of them have mentioned that they are considering looking at a different breed altogether because they can't just keep throwing away their $$$ or letting their kids fall in love with dogs that are just train wrecks!

2/22/2014 4:14 pm  #7

To piggy back off what Ish said.....  I believe that's half if the reason, the other half is the people in the breed and too many people come in expecting a return on their investment lol. And there is no money for the most part to be gained from owning and breeding American Bulldogs. Also too many egos in the breed and alot of people get turned away from the Bullcrap that surrounds the breed

When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.

2/22/2014 4:16 pm  #8

I've come to know some great people In the breed and their are also alot of pecker heads as well.  When improvement is what the majority wants then it will become a better breed.

When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.

2/22/2014 4:50 pm  #9

It isn't what most people expect.  Everyone thinks they can buy a couple dogs and turn easy money.  Sad to say but it doesn't matter how nice your dogs are, if you aren't known or carry the right name you aren't selling anything.  After a breeding or two, having difficulty selling pups, big vet bill from C-section, pups dying, etc. etc. most people run for the hills!!  Usually leaving behind a mess or some ill advised breedings.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/churchiller/AdobeIllustratorCCScreenSnapz043.jpg

2/23/2014 5:25 pm  #10

I think things like divorce, or having  a spouse not into the dog hobby and having 2k pups not pan out.  Kids crying when you let the dog that didn't make the cut go.

2/23/2014 5:54 pm  #11

Because dog breeding isnt for stupid people...and stupid people LOVE breeding dogs...especially ones with short muzzles..

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

- Bertrand Russell

2/24/2014 7:50 am  #12

O'Sullivan wrote:

Because dog breeding isnt for stupid people...and stupid people LOVE breeding dogs...especially ones with short muzzles..

LOL.....Amen !

Love off

2/24/2014 9:03 am  #13

BHB wrote:

O'Sullivan wrote:

LOL.....Amen !

"lol.....amen ! lol

I'D RATHER DIE LIKE A MAN THAN LIVE LIKE A COWARD.....

2/24/2014 1:50 pm  #14

CCB wrote:

It isn't what most people expect.  Everyone thinks they can buy a couple dogs and turn easy money.  Sad to say but it doesn't matter how nice your dogs are, if you aren't known or carry the right name you aren't selling anything.  After a breeding or two, having difficulty selling pups, big vet bill from C-section, pups dying, etc. etc. most people run for the hills!!  Usually leaving behind a mess or some ill advised breedings.

kind of took the words out of my mouth.  how many people breeding these dogs really have at least $2000.00 in the bank for when the poopy hits the fan (C section, mastitis, sick puppy, or worse a full sick litter).  To many people jump into the mind set $1000.00 a puppy "I'll be rich!".  I even heard of some who load up on the Credit Card before the litter was ever whelped.  the answer will 99% of the time be they just didn't make the $$$$$$$$$$ they hoped and dreamed their great american bulldog would make them.  this goes for all breeds.

2/24/2014 9:13 pm  #15

Uncle Ish wrote:

That's why doing your homework is so important, and that doesn't mean browsing the internet for pups.....

2/24/2014 9:24 pm  #16

3DR wrote:

Lack of commitment, the loss of freedom due to being tied down by having to care for the animals. Realizing it takes more work, time, and money than previously expected.

I think your right on the money 

2/24/2014 9:42 pm  #17

People come and go as they think there going to make $$$ I wish it was some other reason but its not.. ..Point in fact, this weekend I had 3 people contact me who "said" they had Bybee bulldogs they wanted to either buy a male from me or breed to one of my males..one even offered for me to sell the pups and I could keep anything I made over a $1000..(I'm still laughing on that one) ..he was shocked when I told him I wasn't interested.! Now let's also note not one of these people actually had the dog's papers so how they knew the dog's had anything to do with me is odd and nobody could tell me what kennel there dog came from who sold it to them etc etc lol! They were picking up adults from a divorce and one on craigs list (which actually had no papers!) and the other had just "picked up' an adult female the day before didnt even bother asking him where from..(but didnt have the papers yet lol!) ...This is what is going on in California, the pits aren't selling, blue frenchies are a dime a dozen and they all think some of us make money breeding abs and they want some!!  Oh and an honorable mention to the guy selling pups on Kijiji Bybee lines.. they were infact 1/64th Bybee!! yup it was an interesting weekend! 

2/24/2014 10:03 pm  #18

Seen a lot of one hit wonders come and go over the years..... I've been in the breed since 98 . I have 10 abs ,5 of which are working dogs. My other 5 are only puppies so time will tell with them. I keep my dogs from birth to death no matter what!

Gucci

HOME TO THE WORKING AMERICAN BULLDOG IN THE UK

3/03/2014 3:00 pm  #19

I think a lot of it can be attributed to the the increase in popularity this breed has taken on and the new owner trying to jump in head first and start breeding.  There are many things to consider that I believe go overlooked.  Without adequate research...some take a loss that is considered too great and risky...and quickly have a change of heart once thousands of dollars have already been spent. I also don't think many consider the maintenance and up keep that comes with having dogs.  It has the ability to take away from other areas of your life and you have to be able to balance it. Think about it...having dogs can impact your family, family vacations, if you have a traveling job, your home owner's insurance, your neighborhood, your neighbors, your kids, your health, your finances...etc.  It's a lot...and I just don't think many people take those things into consideration when first getting started...but quickly learn later on...and when it gets tough...usually...it's the dogs that are the first to go.

"The only thing worse than being blind, is having sight but no vision".
- Helen Keller

www.ThunderRoadBulldogs.com

3/03/2014 4:52 pm  #20

Too many dont expect the unexpected to happen. Theres nothing invincible and nothing perfect in this breed. Also believe some try to take on more than they can handle and the overwhelming result is throwing in the towel and sayin this isnt worth it. Always expect the unexpected.

BigGuns Bullies 
"Midwest Muscle"
www.biggunsbullies.com

3/03/2014 5:09 pm  #21

Overwhelming is right BigGuns.
People think grab a couple dogs...start pumping out pups to make lotsa cash.
Not happening.
If you are lucky, you might pay for their food.
Your time that you have to invest, Vet bills, accidents, pups dying, adults stroking out...people dont like to think about the negatives just the $$$.
I am very lucky as my wife stays home and I have two sons that help out a great deal.
If I didn't have the help, I couldn't work 60 plus hrs a week and take proper care of our 11 dogs. 

Cheers,
Rick

www.bigboikennels.net

What is worse...a liar or the person who knows the lies and keeps them secret???

3/03/2014 8:47 pm  #22

Because the sum total of most people's, myself included, credentials for getting into this breed were, I saw a cool picture of one in a magazine....- Jim  

3/05/2014 11:13 am  #23

Thunder Road wrote:

I think a lot of it can be attributed to the the increase in popularity this breed has taken on and the new owner trying to jump in head first and start breeding.  There are many things to consider that I believe go overlooked.  Without adequate research...some take a loss that is considered too great and risky...and quickly have a change of heart once thousands of dollars have already been spent. I also don't think many consider the maintenance and up keep that comes with having dogs.  It has the ability to take away from other areas of your life and you have to be able to balance it. Think about it...having dogs can impact your family, family vacations, if you have a traveling job, your home owner's insurance, your neighborhood, your neighbors, your kids, your health, your finances...etc.  It's a lot...and I just don't think many people take those things into consideration when first getting started...but quickly learn later on...and when it gets tough...usually...it's the dogs that are the first to go.

Can't disagree with anything you said Thunder Road

3/06/2014 3:51 pm  #24

Thunder Road wrote:

Right on, Thunder Road.

3/06/2014 4:17 pm  #25

I've mentioned this before in another post, but one thing  I think is missing in the AB world  is the "apprenticeship" in the dogs. In other breeds, the "old heads" kinda guide you along until they see you're going to be there for real, but  in ABs , you can just jump in. In other breeds, you are pretty much  a "yard boy" until you get enough experience. That's shoveling shizzy, changing hay, bleaching down houses, raking kennels, ,walking dogs,etc. The things is, you just sit back and listen and learn and develop that love for whatever breed. And your payment isn't money, you get pups as payment,lol.A lot of folks just don't get a chance to get the basic dog maintenence down. There's a big difference between having 1 or 2 dogs and having a yard of dogs. You go broke trying to be a breeder if you have to run to the vet for every little thing.
    I think another thing  that's different in the AB world is that people don't seem to work together as much . It seems like in other breeds, you might have a group of 3 or 4 with  4,5 dogs apiece and common goals, but doesn't seem so much as with in the AB world.

Board footera