Photobucket

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2015 4:10 pm  #1

What is the deal with high rears in American Bulldogs? Show pictures.

I see quite a few american bulldogs / bully type especially in various show rings with what I would consider high rears. I can see that if you know how to show an AB / stand it can sometimes appear that the dog is not high in the rear, hiding a fault but other time when dog stands naturally on own this is an apparent fault. How serious of a fault is it? Please show me pictures of what this does look like. I have even seen some dogs win shows with this so called fault. Confused. Ger.

11/27/2015 4:32 pm  #2

Re: What is the deal with high rears in American Bulldogs? Show pictures.

What shows did you attend recently???

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

11/27/2015 8:22 pm  #3

Well I have been too numerous UKC and ABA and ABRA shows over the last ten years. Some dogs when they stand relaxed on their own accord look like they have high rears. When they are in a "posed" position they look ok to good. Is their an art to not showing this flaw in the ring. It seem to be. I have been to shows where they show bully style / Johnson type and some where they are showing std. type. I love American Bulldogs, as a matter of fact I own a female who is the best dog I have ever had. What "throws me off" about American Bulldogs as a breed is that it appears to be quite various / inconsistent in "type", especially over the last five years, too many different looks, variation. Ger. 

11/28/2015 7:29 am  #4

I think a high rear on a bulldog is pretty normal , and historically correct . as long as it is accompanied by a nice solid back , which I've seen described as an "athletic roach" , it honestly looks normal to me .......... it's more correct than a sloping topline and flat back , when I see that I wonder what breed they are .............. a high rear and poor back/topline is incorrect , and looks bad also .......I have to think it's not the high rear that looks bad , it's the weak backs , and/or rest of the dog ...........a bulldogs rear should never be lower than it's withers ...............jmo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/banda_doc/bull01.jpg

Last edited by me (11/28/2015 7:30 am)

11/29/2015 7:30 am  #5

Some dogs are just very straight stifled and don't possess good angulation and it raises the rear and affects proper movement... Jmo...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

12/06/2015 9:30 pm  #6

ABRA Standard for the classic AB.
Classic: Appearance of being slightly higher in the rear is preferred.
ABKCTop lineThe top line should be even. Sway and severe roach backs are faults. The rear end should not be excessively higher

12/07/2015 11:01 pm  #7

me wrote:

I think a high rear on a bulldog is pretty normal , and historically correct . as long as it is accompanied by a nice solid back , which I've seen described as an "athletic roach" , it honestly looks normal to me .......... it's more correct than a sloping topline and flat back , when I see that I wonder what breed they are .............. a high rear and poor back/topline is incorrect , and looks bad also .......I have to think it's not the high rear that looks bad , it's the weak backs , and/or rest of the dog ...........a bulldogs rear should never be lower than it's withers ...............jmo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/banda_doc/bull01.jpg

The illustrations between your dog and the picture is spot on...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

Board footera