Photobucket

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2013 3:01 pm  #26

Re: SIMPLYINCREDABULL ON THE "HOT SEAT" ***SHOW TIME***

Vindictive Working K9 wrote:

I have no questions for Dannie...but you should know better than to do what you are doing. This is pathetic

Karen, 

Dannie accepted to do the Hot Seat...I think she has handled herself well... and for the record she is ok with the Hot Seat. 

The questions on the hot seat our not created by us. They are sent in private to be submitted..None of the questions chosen offend the breeder in anyway. Some have doubts and some have questions. Being on the hot seat is what it is.. and its the position of a person who carries full responsibility for something, including facing criticism or being answerable for decisions or actions...its a high-pressure situations in whcich a great deal of attention and scrutiny is focused on that person.

those that dont like it don't need to participate. Dannie is doing a damn good job...

LET THEM HATE SO LONG AS THEY FEAR

"We are all attracted by short-cuts, quick fixes and easy solutions.But character takes time to shape and build."

7/15/2013 4:09 pm  #27

"3. If you could do it all over again what would you do differently and why???"

Hmmm... I am very happy with where I am right now with my breeding program. I still want to continue forward- I am by no means ready to say that I have accomplished everything that I want to do. I tend to look forward instead of back, but I did have a couple of breedings that I really wish would have worked out that didn't. I sometimes wonder how that would have effected my breeding program.

Spyder x HFAB's Ruben
Daisy Duke x SRK's Jericho
Deja vu x Xzhibit repeat
Miss Masquerade x Xtreme's Chocolate Monster
Spicy x Ramstein

Would have loved to see the results of those!

Simply Incred-a-bull American Bulldogs
www.SimplyIncredabull.com

7/15/2013 4:12 pm  #28

Karen it's obvious you don't know how this segment goes... It's not the lukewarm seat... And like Barbi stated we pick from what was submitted... Dannie handled it like a champ and all questions were provided by current breeders...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

7/15/2013 4:54 pm  #29

Dannie I have always liked your dogs. I didnt care for the questions but ish is right I didnt send any in so i guess i cant complain. I do however really respect the way you answered them i think it was pretty classy. I would love to see you answer Troys questions though

7/16/2013 3:10 am  #30

JGM-NC wrote:

Sorry Ish, looks like I jumped the gun on my question. Just to clarify, I was asking about the dogs, breeders, shows, etc. I ask because you've been around awhile and seem to "keep your finger on the pulse of the breed" so to speak...so I'd be interested in your opinion on state of the Bully AB in general.-Jim  

I think that there are good things and bad things happening right now within our breed. The biggest downfalls that I see are arrogance, envy, and pride. It is sad to me that we cannot work together to make our breed better. That we must attack, insult, and lie about others because they are our "competition" and not our allies. That we cannot see beyond what is on our OWN yards to appreciate what might be on someone else's.

With that being said, I have also met some of the most important people in my life through dogs. I have made long lasting friendships with people in other countries that I NEVER would have had the opportunity to meet otherwise. I have gone places and seen things that I might never have experienced. As a whole, there are a LOT of amazing bulldoggers out there. I love going to shows, especially on the West Coast, because when I am there I get to hang out with my FRIENDS.

Up until a few years ago, I didn't go to shows. My daughters were a lot younger, and it was out of my comfort zone to travel on my own. I also HATED showing! I felt like a total idiot.. didn't know what I was doing and my dogs acted like jerks- BUT I started making myself do it. I learned, my dogs learned (they still act like jerks sometimes) and I got to meet a lot of great people. I have also seen a lot of dogs. I have learned a TON about structure, movement, health, different bloodlines, what I like and don't like. Going to shows and apprenticing with other knowledgable breeders helped ME to grow.

The thing that makes or breaks this breed is the people.. As with anything, you have to take the good with the bad. I encourage everyone to do what they can to become move involved- whether it be showing, weight pulling, protection work, hog hunting. Get out there and see some dogs, meet some people, and be open to the ideas of others. We have a lot that we can learn from each other if we aren't too prideful to do so.

I hope that I interpreted your question correctly. If not, let me know. It is super late here, but I would be willing to take another stab at it tomorrow if need be.

7/16/2013 3:11 am  #31

Ajkula wrote:

Dannie I have always liked your dogs. I didnt care for the questions but ish is right I didnt send any in so i guess i cant complain. I do however really respect the way you answered them i think it was pretty classy. I would love to see you answer Troys questions though

Thank you very much! I will tackle those questions in the morning. There are some great ones!

7/16/2013 11:42 am  #32

"1.  Dannie, you have travelled extensively going to shows and even judging.  Who were some of the most impressive dogs you have seen and would love to feed!!"

This is a hard question.. I have seen a lot of cool dogs. Most of my "bulldog envy" pertains to females. Again, goes back to building a program off nice bitches.

I know that there have to be more that I am not rmembering, but here are a few that come to mind.

Bulldog envy:

Masterbully's Barbie of Butch Cassidy's (Boss daughter)
MEB's Carmella of WCU
WCU's Halo (sister to Carmella)
BGB's Stella (3rd Sixtee daughter I have mentioned in a row)
DK's Trigger
Blevin's Rita (Caleb daughter)
Conquest's Greedy Gretchen
KOB's Tijuana Call Girl of Southstar (Boss grand-daughter)
KOB's Twisted Sister
Bybee's Pumpkin
MWB's China
(Most Wanted Bullies and the Bybee's consistently have several really nice girls.)

Other dogs that I thought were nice or had a lot of great qualities (again- no perfect dogs out there.)

Faithfullbull's Spike
Caffery's Outlaw (Studebaker son)
BGB's Diego
Bybee's Huckleberry
Bybee's Combat Barbie
EH's Creed
HFAB's Ruben
HFAB's OJ
MWB's Hot Rod
MEB's Pain
Birts/DieHard's Oranje
Masterbully's Crosscut
WB
Chasteen's Duke
Bully Rascalz Shamrock
and Audrey from ORBK has a bunch of really nice standard dogs.

I am sure that there are others that I am forgetting-

7/16/2013 1:21 pm  #33

"2. Now that you have seen Studebaker bred to various females.  What do you think are the qualities that he is producing on a consistent basis??"

There are several things, actually. Muscle structure is one.. all my dogs off of him display the same type of muscle. (Love that.) He seems to throw better structure than his consistently, but I have also tried to breed him to females that counter-balance his faults and keep pups that don't have the same issues that he does. DRIVE, CONFIDENCE, a tendency towards being dog aggressive. (You have to take the desirable with the not as desirable, right?) They are also not for the inexperienced dog owner, per say. They need discipline and boundries, or they get bored. They are very, very smart. He has thrown pretty consistently two different head types, bully and medium bully/hybrid- I like them both, but I prefer the bullier head types, obviously, and that is mostly what I get. He also throws thick, short-backed dogs, and they aren't super leggy. I think the main thing that I love about his offspring is their confidence.

7/16/2013 5:04 pm  #34

Dannie, my dear friend, you are handling it like a CHAMP!!! Hey, about your last answer, I LOVE Studebaker hehehe...(well if not I wouldnt be breeding my 2 best females to him http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/tongue.png
) Love your answers, you sure are able to always make everyone comfortable while staying true and honest.

Thanks for mentionning Barbie and Crosscut, its an honor for me. You are one that I look up to, and you have my entire respect. You are a great friend, sucks you live so far...but at least we get to visit each other few times a year!! Love your dedication, your passion, your numerous goals and plans lol...Its cool too that you are able to be honest about your dogs, breeding practices, plans, and also ask someone else's opinion, because you know you are not God and you are NOT playing God, and you stay true to yourself and the others. Not only are you a great breeder with a nice and specific vision of your own, but you also are a very nice person, that I feel blessed to have as one of my best friend. Looking forward to see ya soon in Quebec, and keep up your great work!

You are ROCKING your HOTSEAT like an ALPHA bitch http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

Vero
Set a goal, make it happen
http://www.masterbully.com/home/

7/16/2013 10:50 pm  #35

GOOD JOB DANNIE!!!!

7/17/2013 1:27 am  #36

"3.  In your opinion, who is the best Studebaker offspring??"

From a judge's perspective? Or my own personal favorite?

From a judge's perspective, as far as the best conformation, I would probably say Kamikaze. She is the most correct dog I own, and the only one who isn't an ABRA CH. Go figure. ;)

From my own personal preference, I prefer Jungle Juice. Her conformation isn't quite as good as Kamikaze's, but I like her head, size, bone, and muscle better. She is "my dog," though, so that plays a part in it as well.

7/17/2013 1:42 am  #37

"4.  If you could breed Studebaker to any female in the breed, who would it be??"

I have such a tough time with " favorites!" I can never make up my mind...

How about a top 3, with reasons why?

1. Masterbully's Barbie of Butch Cassidy's- To me, Barbie is a very complete female. She has great conformation, and I LOVE her temperament and bulldog attitude. Watching her do OB is just an amazing thing. Add to that the fact that she is one of the nicest Boss daughter's alive, (and they are all getting up there in age) and she has super clean conformation AND she's a good breather, with one of the best hips scores in the BREED- total package dog from a dying bloodline.

2. MEB's Carmella of WCU- I am so impressed with this girl.. I had the opportunity to have her at my house for a couple of months, and she is so much prettier in person than in pics. She is also a very well put together female, and she moves like she is floating.. I make a lot of my decisions with the dogs based on gut instinct, and something just tells me that Sixtee x Studebaker is a winner. Only one way to find out, though!

3. KOB's Tijuana Call Girl of Southstar- Love so much about that dog.. Beautiful head, short backed, good structure- THICK. She is a Boss grand-daughter/Lowrider daughter, and I would LOVE to try breeding Studebaker to something off of Lowrider. I have been watching his productions and I have been impressed with what I have seen him produce. I think that the Uncle x Niece combo would yeild very consistent results.

7/18/2013 11:53 am  #38

"5.  You have been involved with AB's for quite some time now.  How would you compare what you started with, to what you have now??  Do you like the progression??  Are the dogs better today??"

When I really got started, I had 3 females- all different blood. I had an idea of what I liked, but I didn't have a clear idea of how to get there. The first two breedings that I did were to a father and a son, and that was where I started to try to bring things together.. I managed to keep the two female lines separate-  from those original breedings, I have Jungle and Kamikaze down from one bitch, and Hazard is down from the other. 

My dogs are a lot more consistent now, but I think I can attribute that to Studebaker and my breeding choices with him. I like the consistency. My first several years of breedings were towards my preferred type, but didn't always produce exactly what my desired outcome was. 

I liked the dogs I had back then. Spyder was a dog that I would love to own 

7/18/2013 12:01 pm  #39

Stupid phone...

I would love to own Spyder today, and she was from my FIRST breeding. Beyond her, I definitely feel like my dogs have improved. If nothing else, my desired result is something that I can EXPECT to see now. Spyder was the exception, not the rule.

Overall, I think that there are a lot of breeders out there who are trying to step up their game. I like the movement towards breeding for better health, better type, better temperaments. The breed can only benefit from that! There will always be people breeding crap, but I honestly feel like there IS better change happening for our dogs right now. I hope that continues! 

7/18/2013 12:24 pm  #40

Kudos to you Dannie!

It's been a great read and should be the blueprint for future Hotseat participants to follow!  

7/18/2013 3:45 pm  #41

I can dig it.. Dannie you already know where I stand with you no need to say it again. Well done, you really handle urself nice. Studi aint my style but I respect him and what u have done with him in ur yard. Id like to see studi to 60 stuff also seems like you would lock it type muscle tone with out losing that crazy Studi drive that he throws and ive seen with my own eyes. If these type combo r the future for u I say BAD ASS... throw a lil MGK in there for me lol

7/18/2013 8:29 pm  #42

SIMPLYINCREDABULL wrote:

"
2. MEB's Carmella of WCU- I am so impressed with this girl.. I had the opportunity to have her at my house for a couple of months, and she is so much prettier in person than in pics. She is also a very well put together female, and she moves like she is floating.. I make a lot of my decisions with the dogs based on gut instinct, and something just tells me that Sixtee x Studebaker is a winner. Only one way to find out.

;) 2014!!!

7/20/2013 9:21 pm  #43

Hi Dannie. Great responses to some hard questions. Class act girl.

1. What 5 things would you tell a new breeder that is just starting out?

2. In your opinion, what makes a puppymiller?

3. What is your take on the fads, extremes and feaks we are seeing today in AB's?

4. If you had to choose one thing you could change on Baker, what would it be?
Not a dig at all as you know I like Baker a lot, just wish he was a tad taller.

5.Are you having another show this year?

Cheers,
Rick.
www.bigboikennels.net

Last edited by BBK (7/20/2013 9:23 pm)

www.bigboikennels.net

What is worse...a liar or the person who knows the lies and keeps them secret???

7/21/2013 12:55 pm  #44

"1. What 5 things would you tell a new breeder that is just starting out?"

1. Do your research! Use these message boards as tools. Save pics that you see of the type of dogs you like, and decide EXACTLY what it is you want the AB to be.. and look for a breeder that has the same goal(s) as you do before making a purchase. Instant gratification isn't always a good thing!

2. Instead of buying 4-5 dogs all at once- buy the best female that you can afford. You can always use someone else's stud! Start with quality.. it costs the same amount to feed a great dog as it does a crappy one. I see too many newcomers come right in and buy 3-6 dogs within a few month's time. Those stories always end in heartbreak.

3. Try to get to some events, if possible. It is always a good idea to see dogs in person! Also, it gives you exposure to all diferent activities you can do with your dog- showing, weight pulling, protection work. You just may find a new activity that you love that will strengthen your bond with your dog(s).

4. Do some OB with your dogs. The American Bulldog is an incredible animal- but they are not for everyone. Once they hit maturity, sometimes they can be too much for their owners, and it is always a good idea to have a solid base of control. (Good for you, good for the dog.)

5. Don't instantly become a breeder- I think people mistakenly think that there are a lot of others getting rich off of puppies. A lot goes into having a litter, and while puppies can be cute- it certainly isn't all fun. It can get expensive, especially if there are complications. Try to have a goal in mind before you decide to take on breeding- there are plenty of pups out there already. Make yours count in the "Positive Contribution" colomn.

7/21/2013 1:00 pm  #45

"2. In your opinion, what makes a puppymiller?"

I think I answered this one earlier- here is what I said:

In my opinion, a person can earn the phrase "puppy miller" by multiple actions. Maybe my definition of that is different than others. It is a term that is very loosely thrown around. Here are things that define that term TO ME.

People who make breeding decisions because they are cheap and/or easy.
People who sell all the pups and don't keep anything.
People without a clear goal, who have a bunch of dogs with completely different peds, completely different types.
People who breed to the latest "fad" to try to sell pups.
People who ALWAYS have 4-5 breedings listed on websites or message boards, or post a breeding every month or so.
People who breed for color in order to sell puppies.
People who do nothing with their dogs besides breed them.
People who do nothing to invest in the future of their breeding program.
People who "settle" for the "stud" they have because he is THERE, rather than looking at what someone else may have to offer that could better or compliment what they have.
People who start breeding their females earlier than 16-17 months at the earliest (and I lean more towards 18-24 months myself.)

7/21/2013 1:03 pm  #46

sgreen wrote:

Kudos to you Dannie!

It's been a great read and should be the blueprint for future Hotseat participants to follow!  

Thanks, Steve! I think it is always cool to get a little bit of history on how people came into the breed and why they do the things they do. Hopefully I have shared a bit of that about myself.

7/21/2013 1:11 pm  #47

Masterbully wrote:

Dannie, my dear friend, you are handling it like a CHAMP!!! Hey, about your last answer, I LOVE Studebaker hehehe...(well if not I wouldnt be breeding my 2 best females to him http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/tongue.png
) Love your answers, you sure are able to always make everyone comfortable while staying true and honest.

Thanks for mentionning Barbie and Crosscut, its an honor for me. You are one that I look up to, and you have my entire respect. You are a great friend, sucks you live so far...but at least we get to visit each other few times a year!! Love your dedication, your passion, your numerous goals and plans lol...Its cool too that you are able to be honest about your dogs, breeding practices, plans, and also ask someone else's opinion, because you know you are not God and you are NOT playing God, and you stay true to yourself and the others. Not only are you a great breeder with a nice and specific vision of your own, but you also are a very nice person, that I feel blessed to have as one of my best friend. Looking forward to see ya soon in Quebec, and keep up your great work!

You are ROCKING your HOTSEAT like an ALPHA bitch http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

Thank you, Vero! I also have learned a lot from you! We have some of the same goals and ideas, and some that are very different. I love the fact that we can discuss things openly without getting upset, even when we don't agree. You are doing GREAT things over there and your future looks bright. You have some of the highest morals and standards of any breeder I know. It can be easy to get discouraged at times when things don't go your way, but no matter what- I won't let you quit! You are the kind of person that this breed NEEDS and I am very proud to have you as one of my closest friends. See you soon, lady! Quebec won't know what hit them!  http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

7/21/2013 1:13 pm  #48

Mathis Elite Bulldogs wrote:

SIMPLYINCREDABULL wrote:

"
2. MEB's Carmella of WCU- I am so impressed with this girl.. I had the opportunity to have her at my house for a couple of months, and she is so much prettier in person than in pics. She is also a very well put together female, and she moves like she is floating.. I make a lot of my decisions with the dogs based on gut instinct, and something just tells me that Sixtee x Studebaker is a winner. Only one way to find out.

;) 2014!!!

I hope so! I just have a feeling about that one- call me crazy. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

7/23/2013 12:44 am  #49

"3. What is your take on the fads, extremes and freaks we are seeing today in AB's?"

I personally don't like AB's in extremes. Too small, too short, too tall, too big, too bully, too colorful.. I think if we focused more of our efforts on "too conformationally correct" (while still maintaining AB type) or "too healthy" we would be much better off. The AB's that I prefer DON'T look like the AB's that JDJ had, but I think that there have definitely been improvements made in type and structure since then.

Everyone wants to be noticed. I think that the fads are a way for people to get the attention that they want. It is a sales pitch to sell pups and stud fees. Whatever happened to just trying to breed the AB to be the best possible representation of the standard?

7/23/2013 12:50 am  #50

"4. If you had to choose one thing you could change on Baker, what would it be?
Not a dig at all as you know I like Baker a lot, just wish he was a tad taller."

I didn't take it as a dig.. as I mentioned- no dog is perfect, and he definitely isn't the exception to that rule. If I had to change one thing, it would probably be to make him not easty westy. That is my least favorite thing about him. Thankfully breeding him to straight females seems to have corrected that in the first generation. We will see what long term effects that has on my breeding program once I start doing some linebreeding with his offspring in the future. I am hoping for smooth sailing by continuing to select breedings with straight dogs, but I am sure that it is going to pop up again. I am doing everything I can to match up strengths against weaknesses and keep offspring that don't exhibit the same faults. Every generation should get better- that is the goal.

Board footera