Photobucket

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2010 10:01 pm  #1

ATTENTION WALKERS:::::::HOTSEAT IS READY FOR YOU::::::::::::::::::::::

Ish asked me to step in and help out with the board for a little while. He has some  personal issues he is busy with.  He wanted me to get the Hot seat going so here we go.

Walkers welcome,

Take your time, give as much answer as you like, pics, ped, or any way you see fit to answer or elaborate on your answers

#1 What AB Blood are you working with and why did you decide to start with the dogs you have started with?

#2 What are the strengths in the dogs you have produced and what dogs or bloodline in your dogs do you think these strengths  came from?.

#3 Of the dogs you own or have produced, which one do you think is the closest to ideal and Why?

CHANGING THE GAME...DAMN IT!!!!

4/28/2010 7:54 am  #2

Re: ATTENTION WALKERS:::::::HOTSEAT IS READY FOR YOU::::::::::::::::::::::

Thanks Vito for getting this over with...I mean started..lol

#1 What AB Blood are you working with and why did you decide to start with the dogs you have started with?

The blood that we are using now is not what we started with. Like so many breeders our first AB's were pets. Our first couple of AB's were hybrid. They were great dogs for us and led us to become more involved with the breed. As we got in to it more we really liked the look of the bullier-heavier dogs. Our first program was based around the SS bloodline. We were fortunate to get a wonderful stud named SS Cotton Eyed Joe. Joe had everything that we were looking for at the time. We purchased several females that were compatible with him and went from there. One of the things we realized a few years in to our program is no matter how nice the dogs we produced were, they were always going to be credited to Cheryl and her program. We really wanted to work with dogs that could develop in to something that would be our own line. When Tony from Serious Abs decided to get out of breeding Abs and we were able to purchase several dogs from him including Hollywood (Brutus the Beast X MGK Chubby Girl (Brahma x Stumpy). Hollywood set the standard for what we are doing. We had the chance to purchase Brutus the Beast a few years ago. We have built our program around these dogs. They have the size, bone, muscle and temperament that we are looking for all wrapped up in a bully package. We now have sons, grandsons and great grandsons of Brutus in our stud line up. The females in our program are in my opinion some of the nicest females around. They come off of some of the top stud in the country including Amadeous, Stranglehold, Matrix and now more then half are daughters that we have kept back. All of our females trace back to Daily's Mustang Sally and Opie One Kenobi which seems to be really compatible to the boys that I am using. I choose females that have great conformation combined with great muscle definition. They are also great moms and most of them have been shown with good success.         

#2 What are the strengths in the dogs you have produced and what dogs or bloodline in your dogs do you think these strengths  came from?

I think that we are consistently producing bully dogs with good bone, great muscle and solid temperaments. I get massive muscle off of the dogs that came off of Hollywood (Brutus X MGK Chubby Girl) and now his son Copper Top. Brutus produces size and bone even on smaller females. Combining these boys with the females that we have has been producing what we are looking for consistently.

#3 Of the dogs you own or have produced, which one do you think is the closest to ideal and Why?

I think that the two dogs that are closest to our ideal of what we are trying to produce are Walkers Son of a Beast aka Mugsy and Walkers Red Sonya. These two dogs have most of what I am looking for. Red Sonya is 98 pds of pure muscle, she had great drive and temperament. Mugsy is a really nice big boy. He has heavy bone and muscle. Solid disposition, very confident male. He has a blue eye which I do not like but everything else is really good. These two are the closest to what we set out to try and produce.

Mugsy
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/keisto1973/Mugsy017.jpg

Red Sonya
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/keisto1973/Newpics0919118.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/keisto1973/Newpics0919106.jpg

"WHERE BIGGER IS BETTER"
WWW.WALKERSAMERICANBULLDOGS.COM

4/28/2010 9:21 am  #3

Great responses, lets keep it rolling;

#4. Size, Bone, Muscle, Bully type........these are mainly cosmetic....except for Temperament you listed mainly cosmetic features. Most if not all Bully Breeders breed based on precieved cosmetic looks. It is a fact that breeding solely on precieved cosmetic feature, looks alone, renders breeds non functional and seems to encourage genetic/health issues. The most extreme case is the AKC Bulldog, but also many breeds like the Bullmastif, Dogue De Bordeaux, who were bred on cosmetic, {Size, Head size, Bone, Color}....are now useless blobs, pet rocks.  Do you see your program progressing in a similar direction? If not what do you believe makes your program different, and what direction do you see the Bully Type AB going?

#5. A giant problem in Bully ABs, weather anyone will admit it or not, is Trachea,Breathing and Throat Issues ,"Brachiocephalic Syndrome." Mufassa, Opie,Brahma,Amadeous,Matrix all the greats you listed as foundations in your dogs, all had issues with"Brachiocephalic Syndrome"/ Opie,Amadeous, Matrix all died because of it, I personally  know of several incidence were Mufassa was brought back from total blue tounge,throat shut, severe over heating, from a drag weight walk on in 70degree breezey spring weather. Mufassa lived in A/C 24/7 in the summer or he would have died under 2yrs old.  I was stuck caring for Brahma the last 3yrs of his life, he could over heat in the dead of winter,he sounded like a broken chain saw anytime he was up and active. Unfortunately this is the gene pool nearly every bully breeder is working with , unless you outcross to Standard lines. What are your concerns about "Brachiocephalic Syndrome" in the breed and in your dogs?  Do you have a stratigey to breed  away from it?

#6. Testing....Health, Temperament, Workability....do you test for any of these things and if yes, please explain your test/tests for each?

4/28/2010 10:43 am  #4

#4. Size, Bone, Muscle, Bully type........these are mainly cosmetic....except for Temperament you listed mainly cosmetic features. Most if not all Bully Breeders breed based on precieved cosmetic looks. It is a fact that breeding solely on precieved cosmetic feature, looks alone, renders breeds non functional and seems to encourage genetic/health issues. The most extreme case is the AKC Bulldog, but also many breeds like the Bullmastif, Dogue De Bordeaux, who were bred on cosmetic, {Size, Head size, Bone, Color}....are now useless blobs, pet rocks.  Do you see your program progressing in a similar direction? If not what do you believe makes your program different, and what direction do you see the Bully Type AB going?

I would not say that our program is just based on cosmetics, although I do believe that you can get a solid sound structured dog in a pretty package. I don't think a dog has to be ugly to work..lol. I also don't think that bone and muscle are just cosmetic traits. I think they coincide with an overall solid structured dog. We do not breed for extremes. We breed for a solid dog front to back. All of the dogs on our yard have good conformation. Temperament is really high on our list of important traits, most of our dogs go in to pet homes. I put our dogs in life long homes and I want to produce a solid healthy dog. You asked us what makes our program different. This is how I look at it just because I bred it or purchased it does not make it breed-able. I have spent a huge amount of money on pups that have not panned out. I think some breeders have trouble cutting their losses and moving on from pups that do not live up to their pedigrees. As for pet rocks..I brought in a new horse yesterday and I have watched Red Sonya and Copper run the fence of their 24x24 pens all morning non-stop trying to figure out a way to get to her..no pet rocks here.

#5. A giant problem in Bully ABs, weather anyone will admit it or not, is Trachea,Breathing and Throat Issues ,"Brachiocephalic Syndrome." Mufassa, Opie,Brahma,Amadeous,Matrix all the greats you listed as foundations in your dogs, all had issues with"Brachiocephalic Syndrome"/ Opie,Amadeous, Matrix all died because of it, I personally  know of several incidence were Mufassa was brought back from total blue tounge,throat shut, severe over heating, from a drag weight walk on in 70degree breezey spring weather. Mufassa lived in A/C 24/7 in the summer or he would have died under 2yrs old.  I was stuck caring for Brahma the last 3yrs of his life, he could over heat in the dead of winter,he sounded like a broken chain saw anytime he was up and active. Unfortunately this is the gene pool nearly every bully breeder is working with , unless you outcross to Standard lines. What are your concerns about "Brachiocephalic Syndrome" in the breed and in your dogs?  Do you have a stratigey to breed  away from it?

I agree that breathing is a huge issue in this breed. We live in Georgia. In the summer we have 100 degree weather with high humidity. If our dogs can't breath they will not make it here period. It is almost like natural selection, if there is an issue with breathing they will not make it through August.  I have lost dogs to the heat in the first few years. That is one of the reasons that even though I like a bully dog there is no point in getting extreme. They just will not make it. All of the dogs that I have right now are clean breathing dogs. All of the dogs that make it in to my breeding program are clean breathing. There are a lot of issues that are in the breed. I think that the biggest thing to do is choose dogs that do not exhibit the traits you are concerned about, know what is in your line and keep track of what you are producing.       

#6. Testing....Health, Temperament, Workability....do you test for any of these things and if yes, please explain your test/tests for each?

We have always shown our dogs in conformation and really enjoyed that (which I know is not work). The further we get in to breeding and our line the more important it is becoming to me to prove our dogs in working venues. It is one thing to know your dog is great and another to prove they are great. We have begun weight pull as part of our conditioning and we are considering going to some events. I have stayed away from bite work although I have a few dogs that would excel at it. I temperament test our puppies and go for a pup with medium drive. We live on a small farms with horses and have had a few goats etc and I can see the prey drive in our dogs, some higher than others. I produce dogs to be pets and family dogs first. I want a pup that can work but not something with over the top drive. Our pups are well socialized when they leave here, if there were any issues they would not leave our yard.
As for hips..Brutus and Hollywood have both been penn-hipped. All of our dogs have been x-rayed. I think that an x-ray that is evaluated by a vet that has experience looking at hips is an effective tool for choosing breeding dogs. That being said going forward we plan to penn hip our upcoming young dogs. Copper and Mugsy will be penn hipped this Spring. I am choosing to do that more for accountability. I feel like I have the bases for what we are trying to do locked down and I want to make sure that each piece of the puzzle is the perfect fit.

"WHERE BIGGER IS BETTER"

4/28/2010 3:15 pm  #5

OK.....hotseat continues...Brace yourself

#7. What major concerns do you see with the breed in general?

#8 What job do you think should be a main measuring stick of an American Bulldog?

#9 Living in Georgia, what precautions do you take with your dogs in the heat? ie, Shade? Mister system?, Fans? A/C? fresh water 3times a day???? What do you provide your dogs?

4/28/2010 4:12 pm  #6

#7. What major concerns do you see with the breed in general?

Hips, elbows, cancer, heart,skin and temperament to name a few.

I also think it would be nice to have a unified breed club. Something that everyone could be a part of and work together on. I think the way it is now with everyone doing there own thing is a problem. I see people with web sites that have just purchased their first two pups. I think that people that are determined to breed need to invest in the best dogs that you can and be patient. People want to spend $500 on a female and then wonder why the pups didn't turn out like they were expecting.   

#8 What job do you think should be a main measuring stick of an American Bulldog?

I guess the closest thing to the original purpose of a bulldog in today's world would be Hog catching. Although I think that any work shows what the dog is supposed to be. If it is weight pulling they should show heart and the will to do the job. Same goes for bite work and obedience.

#9 Living in Georgia, what precautions do you take with your dogs in the heat? ie, Shade? Mister system?, Fans? A/C? fresh water 3times a day???? What do you provide your dogs?

We take basic precautions. All of the dogs have access to shade and fresh water. If we are here they all stay out. If we are going to be gone for the day and it is above 95 degrees we bring some of the younger dogs in. We have indoor and outdoor runs the outdoor runs range in size from 24 x 24 to 12X 60. The dogs that back up to the horse pasture are moved to the indoor runs if we are going to be gone and it is above 95. The horses can act stupid and the dogs do not have an off button. I would love misters but we are on well water and it would burn the pump up.

"WHERE BIGGER IS BETTER"

4/28/2010 8:49 pm  #7

Classy Hotseat Walkers!  Nice job.....like what you guys got going down there......

4/28/2010 9:28 pm  #8

I agree. I own one of their dogs and he exceeded every expectation.....

4/28/2010 9:33 pm  #9

Good job guys..
I like the horse in the background,,
What kind of horse is it??
What color is that??

.Love your rivals cause you need someone to beat.

4/28/2010 9:42 pm  #10

Very well put together Vito. I realy think that these questions are the best i have seen yet. You hit so many topics right on the head..

Walkers, great job ansewering. I love the honesty.

4/28/2010 10:05 pm  #11

I agree Vito is good for questions!!!!

.Love your rivals cause you need someone to beat.

4/29/2010 8:03 am  #12

Great hot seat ,  everyone I know that has a walker dog has nothing but good to say about them and their dogs!

4/29/2010 3:20 pm  #13

I really like your line up walkers and took dem questions like a champ ,

I'D RATHER DIE LIKE A MAN THAN LIVE LIKE A COWARD.....

4/29/2010 3:23 pm  #14

Way to handle the hotseat, very CLASSY!!!  Great questions Vito, you coulda hit em with another batch, I think they wanted more 

When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.

4/29/2010 5:00 pm  #15

GREAT JOB JENNIFER AND ARIC, GOOD QUESTIONS VITO.....

www.evolutionamericanbulldogs.com

BREED WITH THE BEST AND HOOP FOR THE BEST.  (HERE WE GO)

4/29/2010 9:04 pm  #16

I echo everything said.  This was a great hot seat that went un interupted and let the breeder say what they wanted to get across.  I see the dogs they have started with, and I like what they are producing now even better.  But that is what breeding is all about.  Producing better generation after generation.  Congrats on a fine program.

4/29/2010 10:22 pm  #17

Good job Vito, except the part where you disrespect Mufassa.  That just isn't right.  No need to work your politics into the hotseat questions.

4/30/2010 12:14 am  #18

Conquest wrote:

Good job Vito, except the part where you disrespect Mufassa.  That just isn't right.  No need to work your politics into the hotseat questions.

What was disrespectful JP? The truth from personal experience?  The politics???WTF are you talking about? Since when is the truth politics? Politics would be lying about the truth, covering it up. HOT seat questions????I didn't ask for the most over rated stud....or who is the most over rated breeder. I asked no political questions that had to do with the reality of this breed.
JP if you don't like to hear the truth & reality , it is not my problem.....politics ????? Mufassa has been dead a while now.

Could it be your insecure about what your doing, or what you are hitching your star to.

99.9% of the BS posted on these boards is BS, nonsensical stupidity, borderline retardation......Bully ABs are plauged with many issues,  "Brachiocephalic Syndrome" is a big problem that everyone wants to sweep under the rug, every year a bunch of dogs die because of it.  The facts are Brahma had horrible breathing issues, the worst I've ever seen, Mufassa had soft pallet issues and was bred more than any Bul;ly AB in recent history. Dozens of his offspring died because of it.
These are the exact things we should all be talking about and working on correcting. Instead it is swept under the rug, and you see it as dissrespect, and politics.  It is reality deal with it.

4/30/2010 7:42 am  #19

Hey, I got no problem if you show your disdain for Mufassa, I just didn't think that it belonged in a hotseat question.  I got no insecurities about what I am doing. 

I think that Mufassa's breathing was exaggerated in your question.  You could have just left it that he was a bad breather, and it would have been cool.  But no, you bring up this 24/7 AC almost died twice Bullcrap.  I saw Mufassa once, it was about 80 degrees out and he wasn't in AC, and he wasn't breathing hard either.

As a matter of fact, I took this picture here:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d732b3127ccec24e0a4b916100000010O00AbOGjdm4ctWIPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

I have been around to many shows, and I have seen dogs that need to be kept in AC or else they start stroking out right away.  And these dogs are from some of the top breeders.  Mufassa was not one of them.  RIP Mufassa.

As you say "99.9% of the BS posted on these boards is BS, nonsensical stupidity, borderline retardation......"  well you just added to it.

4/30/2010 7:51 am  #20

Well done Walkers, but quite honestly your lineup speaks for itself!

David

FTBS

4/30/2010 8:28 am  #21

Conquest wrote:

Hey, I got no problem if you show your disdain for Mufassa, I just didn't think that it belonged in a hotseat question.  I got no insecurities about what I am doing. 

I think that Mufassa's breathing was exaggerated in your question.  You could have just left it that he was a bad breather, and it would have been cool.  But no, you bring up this 24/7 AC almost died twice Bullcrap.  I saw Mufassa once, it was about 80 degrees out and he wasn't in AC, and he wasn't breathing hard either.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d732b3127ccec24e0a4b916100000010O00AbOGjdm4ctWIPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

I have been around to many shows, and I have seen dogs that need to be kept in AC or else they start stroking out right away.  And these dogs are from some of the top breeders.  Mufassa was not one of them.  RIP Mufassa.

As you say "99.9% of the BS posted on these boards is BS, nonsensical stupidity, borderline retardation......"  well you just added to it.

Nice pic of Fas! never seen that one....

Here is a vid of the great one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Ou-CgNFI4

there are more vids of him on youtube...just search...

great read on the Hot Seat...

http://i41.tinypic.com/fwkcra.jpg

TEXAS BRAND BULLDOGS "Preserve & Refine"
www.myspace.com/texasbrandbulldogs
The Bully Shop Board: http://beastlybulldogs.boardhost.com/index.php

4/30/2010 1:06 pm  #22

Conquest wrote:

JP, Listen I knew Mufassa very well I had him at my house more than a dozen times, Drove him cross country  more than once. Handled breeding , AI, natural, Shipped semen on him, I spent days with him at Kenny's, Handeled him many many times, Broke him up in fights, spent a lot of time hosing him down with a hose to keep him from geeking out. I bred to him twice, evaluated his first 15-20 litters.....I have no distain towards Mufassa, contrare I loved this dog, his owner and always will .

The question was about "Brachiocephalic Syndrome" Mufassa was listed as a mian dog in their pedigree. The name of this N-X segment is the Hot Seat....not the soft ball seat, or the lets stroke each others nuts seat.

I never claimed Mufassa was the worst breather, I claimed his sire Brahma was.  On a scale of 1 to 10...10 being great breather...Mufassa was a 4 or 5...Brahma a 2 or 3......in Bully Type ABs a 6 is fantastic....in a Standard AB a 8 or 9 is good.

Mufassa as much as I loved him, as much as a love my dogs down from him, he was not a good breather, and he produced a ton of dogs with breathing problems. Those are facts, the breed would be much better off if we delt in reality.
Brachiocephalic Syndrome is a big problem in our dogs and no one has the nuts to even aknowledge there is a problem.

Hate to inform you JP but those are the facts, just like at the Milk Jugg factory no one will tell you your a douche bag, facts are facts...LOL

4/30/2010 2:57 pm  #23

Hey man, now you are are right, those are facts.  You wrote "Mufassa lived in A/C 24/7 in the summer or he would have died under 2yrs old."  That is not a fact.  That is an opinion, and a wild one at that.  Like I said, I saw him in the summer, he wasn't in AC and he wasn't dead either.

Hey look, maybe I misread it.  It's all cool.  Also, they all tell me I'm a douche bag right after I fire them.... lol.

I would definitely agree Mufassa was a 4 or 5.  Shizzy now that is reality, not some wild statement designed to piss people off.  I have a dog like that myself, and she just happens to be a Fass daughter, and the worst breather on my yard.  She is the only one that I ever worry about, and she never sees AC.  You will have to put me one the hot seat for me to tell you who the 2-3 dogs are - I know of several, and all are big time studs.

Best regards.....

4/30/2010 3:35 pm  #24

i really could care less for vito or what he does but, if he's been around fass as much as he states i take his word as concrete j.p . look all im saying is compare how many times you saw fass to how many times vito has and maybe you should just ask others to see if he's doing his salesman pitch or he's speaking the truth , i dont think he's bringing all these facts for nothing.youre a good man jp i like you and sometimes the truth is not what we want to hear . no fighting guys there's enough assholes outthere doing that in this breed. i have a fass grandaghter and she's not the best breather so i dont think he's lying ,just my opinion j.p hope all is well

I'D RATHER DIE LIKE A MAN THAN LIVE LIKE A COWARD.....

4/30/2010 5:22 pm  #25

Conquest wrote:

Hey look, maybe I misread it.  It's all cool.  Also, they all tell me I'm a douche bag right after I fire them.... lol..

I knew it!......LOL

JP i have had dogs that are 3s...produced 3s.....plenty of other Bully studs that are 2s like i said he wasn't the worst like his dad. But the discussion was about a select group Walkers named as foundation. It is the Hot Seat , good questions deal with real issues.......your lucky they didn't mention that Olde Playboy....LOL you'd still be crying...LOL

JP, i don't mean to give anyone hell.....I just tell the truth and people think that is hell....because all anyone wants to do in this breed is fluff each other....pie in the sky.

Board footera