Photobucket

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



6/25/2013 5:20 am  #1


Olde tyme stud info?

Hi everyone,
im pretty new to this forum and to olde tyme bulldogs.
I have a one year old male and was just wondering if 
anyone could advise me on studding? Im not assuming 
my dog is ideal to stud, I was just wondering if there are
certain boxes he must tick to be concidered worthy of
studding? If anyone could give me any info on what
requirements there are such as age, health checks, body
dimensions etc, it would be greatly appreciated. This is
something im interested in doing, but only if my dog is
up to the standards required
thanks in advance

 

7/12/2013 3:22 am  #2


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

For what it's worth, heres a pic of him. He's 14 months now http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a573/Norky3/55A04DDC-8267-4253-8015-2A9A35FBD76D-1747-0000025ECEE10BE1_zps06873b31.jpg

     Thread Starter
 

7/12/2013 6:47 am  #3


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

Norky,
 
 I know it sucks to not get any responses. I think most may think these are questions you should already know, as if gaining info can be done improperly. What I will tell you is there is absolutely zero dollars to be made breeding dogs. Breeding is a passionate expense, don't even plan on breaking even were money is concerned. Second oldies are just a mixed breed to many, but there are deep lines within the breed. Many would breed that dog. Make your own boxes. Personally I would straighten the front legs. If you do breed, getting rid of faults is more important than stacking assets. 

Last edited by NoStopABTs (7/12/2013 6:49 am)


My closet is transparent, transparency is magnetic. 
 

7/12/2013 7:38 am  #4


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

The only people I know that make money breeding dogs generally dont work and put the dogs ahead of everything else even there own personal well being... you go to there home and its dirty, smells like dog, and there personal hygene and or health is lacking...

I would tell you with all due respect if your serious about breeding to start with better stock structurely he is your pet and you love him but that doesnt mean he is the best choice to start a progressive breeding program... if you start wrong you end wrong...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

7/12/2013 7:45 am  #5


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it,

Money isn't really why Im doing it. My vet advised me not to get him neutered as olde tymes can get
over weight after doing this, so I thought if he gets to keep em, I should find out if he's a good enough specimin to use them! He's been raised around a teenager and 2 young children and has a fantastic
temperament. He also took to obediance trainning really well, so I knew he was sound mentally. I was just humbley asking for people more in the know what their oppinion was on him physically. I didn't want to put him up for stud and look a fool if he had some terrible non-conformity as im not very well educated on the subject. It's not the end of the world if his leg shape would put people off as at the end of the day, he's a wonderful family pet and we all love him. Thanks again for your input, and thanks in advance to anyone who has anything to add

     Thread Starter
 

7/12/2013 7:48 am  #6


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

Norky lets try this... stack him up has best you can and post a pic that best represents him... maybe its just a bad picture??? A bad pic can make a good dog look terrible...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

7/12/2013 7:53 am  #7


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

ok will do, i didnt acually do any thing with him for that picture, i just took it whilst we were playing
fetch in the garden. I'll do the best i can and get back once ive googled the correct way to stack a dog
lol. damn my lack of knowledge http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/confused.png

     Thread Starter
 

7/12/2013 7:56 am  #8


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

Its OK norky... we all start the hard way but we will help best we can even though we are far from pros ourselves... I thought the pic was just a pic of him stacked I didnt know it was an action pic... get him stacked and have someone take the pic for you or vice versa...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

7/12/2013 8:04 am  #9


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

ok mate will do, im on my own at the moment so will have to sort it out later.
thanks again for your time fellas

     Thread Starter
 

7/13/2013 5:06 am  #10


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

 Norky I wasn't saying that his legs are that bad, just trying to answer your question based off that picture. That is called fiddle front, you can search fiddle front on here there are 3 post. Some people will call a fiddle front dog with all four feet pointing forward a nice straight dog, not me. I have bred these type dogs and now I'm regretting it. Here's a few pics of dogs I've bred. 
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s671/jfhnsabt/035_zps9e804e1c.jpg

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s671/jfhnsabt/0034_zps8a07231f.jpg


  This pic is cut off but I think you can imagine the rest.
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s671/jfhnsabt/173_zpsfe5351c3.jpg


 I'm not even saying that I wouldn't have bred these dogs,but I would have put breedings together differently. I would have put the fiddled dogs to straighter ones. Here's an example of putting fiddled to straighter. This is Yorkie(black male) he has fiddle front and Left eyes is much straighter at her wrist, her right leg is turned out in pic and that makes her appear less straight than she is and Yorkie actually looks better in this pic than he is. 
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s671/jfhnsabt/image_zpse2910805.jpg

A good point that can be made from this picture is that pics can be deceiving and very little about a breeding decision can be made just by looking at a picture. Which leads to an even bigger point, there is so much more to a dog than what it looks like. I think the biggest and best thing that our community can do for the dogs as a whole is to openly admit our mistakes. Breeding based on look alone is one of the bigger issues that hinder many breeds. The days of working dogs seems to be coming to an end, but I think anyone in a working breed should pay more attention function and health. So it may be a good idea for a breeder to have a purpose in mind for the type dog they want to produce. Not saying all breeders should shoot for top hog dog, but you will not go wrong making healthier dogs. More functional dogs better moving dogs = healthier dogs and healthier dogs = happier dogs and dog owners, regardless the intended purpose of the dog. A lot of what I'm telling you I have come to believe and realize from reading  this message board, so you are in the right place and asking good questions IMO. Many wouldn't even ask, so good job on that. Keep us posted 


My closet is transparent, transparency is magnetic. 
 

7/13/2013 5:17 am  #11


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

In this pic you can see Yorkie's fiddledness better. The weight of a dog hugely impacts the pressure put on their crooked joints. So even though those first dogs aren't as severely fiddled it may cause them more issues because they are bigger dogs. 
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s671/jfhnsabt/225_zps33602f66.jpg


My closet is transparent, transparency is magnetic. 
 

7/13/2013 5:29 am  #12


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

I'm definitely no expert on any breed and even less when it comes to this one. The boxes that I would say are important for this breed are breathing, structure, and all around health. Putting the wrong traits together can be fatal. For example have a dog that is poor in these three areas that has high drive. A dog like that can and have died from barking at the mower while cutting the lawn on a summer day. So you can't go wrong checking those three boxes. 


My closet is transparent, transparency is magnetic. 
 

7/13/2013 7:40 am  #13


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

Uncle Ish wrote:

The only people I know that make money breeding dogs generally dont work and put the dogs ahead of everything else even there own personal well being... you go to there home and its dirty, smells like dog, and there personal hygene and or health is lacking...

I would tell you with all due respect if your serious about breeding to start with better stock structurely he is your pet and you love him but that doesnt mean he is the best choice to start a progressive breeding program... if you start wrong you end wrong...

i will tell him go ahead. Shizzy theres dozen breeders here doing it, infact the majority dogs here are oldes any ways i dont know why they havent jumped on this thread.


It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
 

7/13/2013 7:43 am  #14


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

Norky wrote:

Hi everyone,
im pretty new to this forum and to olde tyme bulldogs.
I have a one year old male and was just wondering if 
anyone could advise me on studding? Im not assuming 
my dog is ideal to stud, I was just wondering if there are
certain boxes he must tick to be concidered worthy of
studding? If anyone could give me any info on what
requirements there are such as age, health checks, body
dimensions etc, it would be greatly appreciated. This is
something im interested in doing, but only if my dog is
up to the standards required
thanks in advance

one person who can help you in this is kovy he feed oldies lol


It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
 

7/14/2013 3:39 pm  #15


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

NoStopABTs wrote:

mr jessie harris !!No need to be a pecker to this person. The questions are good ones that many more people should ask before breeding. Your input is to insult a person by calling what they call an AB an olde that odds are this person knows nothing about? Come on

js@an_911 wrote:

Norky wrote:

Hi everyone,
im pretty new to this forum and to olde tyme bulldogs.
I have a one year old male and was just wondering if 
anyone could advise me on studding? Im not assuming 
my dog is ideal to stud, I was just wondering if there are
certain boxes he must tick to be concidered worthy of
studding? If anyone could give me any info on what
requirements there are such as age, health checks, body
dimensions etc, it would be greatly appreciated. This is
something im interested in doing, but only if my dog is
up to the standards required
thanks in advance

one person who can help you in this is kovy he feed oldies lol

 

 


It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
 

7/15/2013 2:28 am  #16


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

Im not insulted because i don't know what exactly he's trying to get at.
Just to make it clear, its not my intention to start a breeding program.
I dont need the money, and i dont have the time or expertise to carry out such 
project. I was simply looking for some intellegent advise on making my dog
available for others to use in their programs. Fortunatley 2 of you have been
very helpful and thought provoking. I just thought if my dog had to keep
his balls, he might enjoy using them lol. My dog has had no health problems.
He breathes easily and has no problems running around on long trips to the park.
So for that reason, someone might be interested in using him. Ive decided to
post an ad on gum tree, with him in a stacked position (thanks for letting me know
this existed!) and if my boy gets his end away brilliant! If not, i wont be losing any
sleep over it. Thanks again you two for your input, and if anyone else has anything
worth saying i welcome any advice. Anyone that wants to use this thread to have
a dig at people, i suggest you join facebook.

     Thread Starter
 

7/16/2013 8:02 am  #17


Re: Olde tyme stud info?

Norky make sure you share those pics with us...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

[IMG]http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo49/muscletechk9/NationXish1.gif[/IMG]