Photobucket

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2015 8:28 pm  #1

Why so much variation regarding American Bulldog "look", type?

I love American Bulldogs as a whole / breed. I have very good luck with the two ABs I have owned over the years. What "throws me off" about the breed as a whole is that there seems to be an awful lot of variation in regards to build, looks, type, etc? Some look impressively bully but their muzzles don't fall within the standard. Some appear to have high rear ends. Some have messed up eyes, etc, etc. I seem some of these dogs with weird looking flaws place or become show winners. Don't get me wrong, I love ABs. But maybe the inconsistencies in regards to the various "looks" of ABs is one of the reasons why some people don't take the breed seriously? I know originally this breed was not designed to be a dog show fancier breed, was meant as a catch dog, utility dog, etc. Ger. 

11/28/2015 7:38 am  #2

Re: Why so much variation regarding American Bulldog "look", type?

too many registries , 7/8ths rule ,  a demand for designer dogs , and puppymillers

11/29/2015 7:37 am  #3

Part of the reason is the breed was essentially founded on puppymilling... These dogs were very popular after the movie Homeward Bound and so many other breeds were added to the soup for personal gain and preference it became mongrelized...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

12/04/2015 2:59 pm  #4

Everybody wanted to put their own spin on the AB.  They added things...mixed things in the soup...that gave different looks.  Registries conformed to the newest look...instead of the look conforming to the registry.  The breeders had the registries by the balls...because if they don't like the standard...they don't register with them.  It would've been nice for the registries to unite and have one standard.  That's the main reason i like UKC.  To me...they have the most comprehensive standard.  The messed up eyes and crazy looks...comes from inbreeding.  People think because they have 12 X ???  then it means quality.  Another falsehood in this breed.  I saw the same things in the shows when i first got into this breed..and i won't lie...it was really disheartening to see...but then i realized something.  These shows are more like fun get togethers...they don't hold the value that we might want to give them.  Go to an all breed show...and if your bulldog can place against the dobes, rotties, Schnauzers, Danes...etc...then you're doing something...but two cow hocked bulldogs going head to head is not impressive to me...because one will win.  You don't have to be good in the bulldog show ring...you just have to be the best on that day.  There's a big difference.  You're right...this breed was not bred to be a show dog...but it still had a certain look and physicality...which has also been lost for the most part. I feel your frustrations...the breed is all over the place.  The next 20 years in this breed will be interesting.  If you ask me...we won't be far from the American bully on the Classic side...the standard side will look more like Pitbulls.  Just what i see from what i've seen thus far.  I could be wrong though.  *shrugs* ...but all in all...the comments above along with my $.02 cents...are the exact reasons the breed is not taken seriously in my opinion.

Last edited by Thunder Road (12/04/2015 3:01 pm)

"The only thing worse than being blind, is having sight but no vision".
- Helen Keller

www.ThunderRoadBulldogs.com

12/05/2015 7:02 pm  #5

The american bulldog is basically a bandog.  There is a great variation in type within the breed.  Just own and feed what you like and it doesn't matter what anyone else does.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/churchiller/AdobeIllustratorCCScreenSnapz043.jpg

12/05/2015 8:20 pm  #6

Some great points made up top.  Too many chefs over the years who wanted to create their own look or not breeding for a consistent goal.  There is also no clear cut standard for the breed that would hold everyone accountable to bide by.

One interesting thing I've noticed over the years is the European stock developing a solid look.  It's almost amazing on fb when you can look at a picture of a dog and say "yeah, he's not in this country."  IMO this is due to Fas and Caleb sons taking over that market (Fifty, Cannon, Boss, etc.).  They didn't have a million lines to choose from like we do in the US and it has ironically produced a very consistent look.  Are they perfect dogs - no, there aren't any, but they definitely have a steady look over there.

12/07/2015 10:00 pm  #7

If it ain't bully it ain't a bulldog to me

Step 1

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b637/NickLew83/received_775358079199861_zpsxwt1icfd.jpeg

12/07/2015 10:55 pm  #8

The Nova Bull wrote:

Some great points made up top.  Too many chefs over the years who wanted to create their own look or not breeding for a consistent goal.  There is also no clear cut standard for the breed that would hold everyone accountable to bide by.

One interesting thing I've noticed over the years is the European stock developing a solid look.  It's almost amazing on fb when you can look at a picture of a dog and say "yeah, he's not in this country."  IMO this is due to Fas and Caleb sons taking over that market (Fifty, Cannon, Boss, etc.).  They didn't have a million lines to choose from like we do in the US and it has ironically produced a very consistent look.  Are they perfect dogs - no, there aren't any, but they definitely have a steady look over there.

I'm starting to notice the same thing...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

12/07/2015 10:58 pm  #9

CCB wrote:

The american bulldog is basically a bandog.  There is a great variation in type within the breed.  Just own and feed what you like and it doesn't matter what anyone else does.

I have been saying this very thing on this board for years...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

12/19/2015 8:36 pm  #10

Spot on Troy.

Board footera