Photobucket

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



2/29/2016 12:38 pm  #1


Serious Healthy Discussion

So where do I start with this one.... how about with a pre-cursor.  I am bringing this topic to the board to get serious thought/input from breeders, old timers and just those who appreciate AB's.  This is not to throw shade on anyone, diss anyone's dogs or most importantly - mess with anyone's money, lol.  This is a topic I think we all should discuss and have a clearer understanding on.  Please do not jump on here with the "you're just hating" comment because in all actuality I could care less about your specific dogs, program, agenda and I truly wish you the best... no ill intent at all

With that being said I'm going to jump into my time machine and go back approx. 7 years ago (give or take).  I was hanging on the Vard as usually and this really cool dog got posted.  He was an excellent specimen, not my cup of tea - but all out a beautiful dog.  His name was Huggy.  I think the initial response was well received and he was looked as kind of a designer type dog - IMO.  He changed the game....(somewhere Vito has got to be smiling, lol).  Fast forward to today and you are seeing more and more full body suited dogs that have descended from Huggy, Guacho, Ben, etc.  Once upon a time you would have been laughed out of the community for presenting a blue, but now those are becoming more common too. 

My question to the board is when do we - if at all - draw the line with the few rules we have in the breed.  No one here needs a history lesson, but we all know our "classic" side alone has a huge scale for what's acceptable.  We have males who appear to be slightly larger Oldes at 75-80lbs. to males that look like young Danes at 125 lbs.  If you're really reading my post you have realized my question really has nothing to do with color at all - it's about upholding some form of a standard.  You can't use the argument from decades ago about not having enough dogs in the gene pool.  There's plenty out there to work with...

So - if we have decided to bend on color - can I now have a merle AB too???  Honestly, that's one of my favorite colors.  Can I breed for more wrinkles and maybe throw a little Pei in there?  Stupid example, but I think I've made my point.

Sorry I was long winded, but I wanted yall to feel where I'm coming from.  This isn't an attack on colored dogs.  Truth be told there are several bad @ss dogs out there who are "cool," they just don't fit my description as a "classic" AB.  Thank you all for reading this long @ss post and I wish everyone the best.  Let's have a happy, healthy convo below and I look forward to reading your thoughts...

 

2/29/2016 3:29 pm  #2


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

The American Bulldog is basically a bandog, with so many types and varieties... It is best to feed what you like and keep pushing forward with it...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

3/01/2016 8:22 pm  #3


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Thanks for the reply Ish.  I've heard a couple people say the same thing but I know as a community we probably don't really want to be classified as bandog breeders.  I also believe in feeding what you like, but acknowledge that there has to be some minimal amount of rules to keep everyone in check.  As breeders we should probably acknowledge them and uphold them to some degree.  I guess it comes down to the registry's upholding the guidelines and new people to the breed becoming hip before investing in certain stock.

     Thread Starter
 

3/02/2016 4:35 pm  #4


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

huggy was a skittish , unhealthy , disabled internet mirage ............. nothing but pure marketing hype , dropped dead from being kenneled near a bitch in heat  ......... the breed is older than the cane corso  breed , there is no excuse for the inconsistency ...... unscrupulous puppy millers is the reason .......

 

3/02/2016 6:23 pm  #5


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

me wrote:

huggy was a skittish , unhealthy , disabled internet mirage ............. nothing but pure marketing hype , dropped dead from being kenneled near a bitch in heat  ......... the breed is older than the cane corso  breed , there is no excuse for the inconsistency ...... unscrupulous puppy millers is the reason .......

 
Is the Huggy being referred to here, Venn's Thugg Hug of Brave Heart?

 

3/03/2016 5:24 am  #6


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

that's who I assume was meant .......... I didn't need Dailey to tell me the dog was scared of his own shadow , I seen that in the video they put up of him , and then removed , never to be seen again .............. an internet picture , just another hyped  bh pos mutt ,...............

 

3/03/2016 10:50 am  #7


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

me wrote:

huggy was a skittish , unhealthy , disabled internet mirage ............. nothing but pure marketing hype , dropped dead from being kenneled near a bitch in heat  ......... the breed is older than the cane corso  breed , there is no excuse for the inconsistency ...... unscrupulous puppy millers is the reason .......

This is incorrect, at least with respect to how Huggy died. Gaucho died of heat stroke from being kenneled next to a bitch in heat (which  imo is human neglect, any dog can heat stroke under those conditions it was a hot summer day). Pretty sure Huggy died due to lyme disease complications.

 

3/03/2016 3:38 pm  #8


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Ranovr32 wrote:

This is incorrect, at least with respect to how Huggy died. Gaucho died of heat stroke from being kenneled next to a bitch in heat (which  imo is human neglect, any dog can heat stroke under those conditions it was a hot summer day). Pretty sure Huggy died due to lyme disease complications.

very likely true , I have trouble keeping all the Bullcrap reasons  those dogs dropped dead from over the years  ..... hell some of them died twice from multiple reasons ........
 

 

3/05/2016 8:43 pm  #9


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Thing is has long has the NKC allows an open stud book... you are free to use your imagination... V sure did...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

3/06/2016 8:34 am  #10


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Huggy was a gorgeous animal... But someone I know that bred to him and put hands on him said he was insecure and reserved if he didn't know you...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

3/08/2016 7:22 am  #11


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Uncle Ish wrote:

The American Bulldog is basically a bandog, with so many types and varieties... It is best to feed what you like and keep pushing forward with it...

I disagree the AB is not a bandog......breeding and feeding what you like and not to the standard is why you have so many types and varieties. Everybody didnt fall for the Black & Blue bulldog/bandog hype, some of us know what American Bulldogs are suppose to look like.
 

 

3/08/2016 1:09 pm  #12


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

I use the term bandog has a reference point... but the breed is so diverse and divided each side thinks the other is a joke...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

3/09/2016 9:42 pm  #13


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Uncle Ish wrote:

I use the term bandog has a reference point... but the breed is so diverse and divided each side thinks the other is a joke...

You used the term bandog to identify the American Bulldog as a whole. Breed type was established long before any of us hit the scene. What the founders of this breed used to establish that type is also a thing of the past. Nothing wrong with diversity or the fact that the founders had different types in mind for the vocation of there choice, both Johnson/Johnson type & Scott/Painter dogs have there place. The joke only comes into play when folks add outside blood, hang papers then expect folks that know better to go a long with the program. I'm not falling for the okie doke Ish not then, not now, not ever......

 

3/10/2016 9:24 pm  #14


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

I agree with your statement... But the damage has been done by the selfish...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

3/12/2016 1:43 pm  #15


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Uncle Ish wrote:

I agree with your statement... But the damage has been done by the selfish...

 
I also agree with your statement to a degree......the damage has been done, however some yards got hit alot harder then others. Some of the more recent damage was completely avoidable. I'm not here to reinvent the wheel, I'm here to maintain and improve what has already been established.

 

3/13/2016 12:05 am  #16


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Mike you work with Bruce's blood???


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

3/13/2016 10:52 am  #17


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Uncle Ish wrote:

Mike you work with Bruce's blood???

 
I have 1 dog on my yard that has ancestry stemming from Steel Curtain's work Perry's Dolby Digital. Within that pedigree Bruce is directly responsible for producing 2 dogs on the top half via his sire Triple K's Kingston.

Triple K's Redbull X Dailey's Eureka = Steel Curtain's Bouncer

Steel Curtain's Bouncer X Dailey's Eureka = Steel Curtain's Milk Man

Steel Curtain's Milk Man X Triple K's Booky = Triple K's Kingston

So I believe the proper answer to your question would be "No" I do not work with Bruce's blood. I do not believe 2 dogs in a top half of a ped is enough yard selection to give him exclusive credit for the bloodline being used. However, I do recognize and acknowledge his work that's why the dogs in my males pedigree are identified as such. I hope I was successful in breaking my hypothesis down enough for you to understand.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=2086754-perrys-dolby-digital

 

3/13/2016 3:32 pm  #18


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

I noticed your ped names some BBB blood... you go back to ellerbe blood???


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

3/14/2016 1:41 pm  #19


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Uncle Ish wrote:

I noticed your ped names some BBB blood... you go back to ellerbe blood???

BBB= Big Block Bullies AB, Khiem Van RIP
 

 

3/15/2016 7:07 am  #20


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Oh gotcha... what are the plans with your stock???


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

3/15/2016 8:36 pm  #21


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Uncle Ish wrote:

Oh gotcha... what are the plans with your stock???

 
I'll make a seperate post when I get a minute. I hate to get off topic and highjack Novabulls thread

 

3/16/2016 5:31 am  #22


Re: Serious Healthy Discussion

Fair enough and good etiquette...


Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

[IMG]http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo49/muscletechk9/NationXish1.gif[/IMG]