Photobucket

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2015 10:35 am  #1

Selling terriers...

Seems to be a big no no amongst working breeders a peddler is the worst thing you could be viewed has...
I learned that the hard way...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

4/23/2015 10:51 pm  #2

Re: Selling terriers...

Uncle Ish wrote:

Seems to be a big no no amongst working breeders a peddler is the worst thing you could be viewed has...

Kind of a two edged sword isn't it?  You have dogs to sell, good working  prospects from proven parentsand the working crowd calls you a puppymiller because you don't come to shows and you don't socialize with them. What can you do?

Lately  the word "friend" has become a scarce word. A sickening game of watchfulness toward offered friendships- Bruce Lee

4/24/2015 3:03 am  #3

bu11yn00b82 wrote:

Uncle Ish wrote:

Kind of a two edged sword isn't it?  You have dogs to sell, good working  prospects from proven parentsand the working crowd calls you a puppymiller because you don't come to shows and you don't socialize with them. What can you do?

Yeah its a completely different mindset to be honest. I have a litter of pups from 2 proven working dogs at the moment, and while they are all spoken for I won't be charging a single cent for them. I think i'd actually be embarrassed to ask someone for money for them, even though in my own mind they're priceless. But they haven't done anything yet....so the guy that gets a pup has to feed it, rear it, clean up after it and school it before he sees what he has. Lot of time and a lot of effort on their end. They're all going to guys that will work them and I'm keeping one, and I know that when these guys breed a litter I'll get a call asking me if I want something from it. It's rare that these pups would even be for sale, you would find it hard to get one of these without knowing the breeder or them knowing you. 

Last edited by jasynkel (4/24/2015 3:08 am)

4/24/2015 8:04 pm  #4

jasynkel wrote:

bu11yn00b82 wrote:

Uncle Ish wrote:

Yeah its a completely different mindset to be honest. I have a litter of pups from 2 proven working dogs at the moment, and while they are all spoken for I won't be charging a single cent for them. I think i'd actually be embarrassed to ask someone for money for them, even though in my own mind they're priceless. But they haven't done anything yet....so the guy that gets a pup has to feed it, rear it, clean up after it and school it before he sees what he has. Lot of time and a lot of effort on their end. They're all going to guys that will work them and I'm keeping one, and I know that when these guys breed a litter I'll get a call asking me if I want something from it. It's rare that these pups would even be for sale, you would find it hard to get one of these without knowing the breeder or them knowing you. 

That is kind of what I wanted to do with my bulldogs. Get them into working hands, And hopefully get pups back from any subsequent breedings. I'm not really into it for money. As long as I can keep feeding them, working them and enjoying them I'm happy.

Lately  the word "friend" has become a scarce word. A sickening game of watchfulness toward offered friendships- Bruce Lee

4/24/2015 10:58 pm  #5

Real terrier guys find it offensive to sell...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

4/25/2015 1:15 am  #6

Uncle Ish wrote:

Kinda funny isn't it? Show dog breeders charge a house payment for pups out of non working dogs, While working breeders practically give pups away as long as you'll work them. Seems backwards to me.

4/25/2015 3:17 pm  #7

bu11yn00b82 wrote:

jasynkel wrote:

bu11yn00b82 wrote:

That is kind of what I wanted to do with my bulldogs. Get them into working hands, And hopefully get pups back from any subsequent breedings. I'm not really into it for money. As long as I can keep feeding them, working them and enjoying them I'm happy.

Exactly, that's the way to do it. Work with a good bunch of guys and keep the best of your breedings. You're not overloading yourself with dogs because you can spread them out. Just out of interest, what are you doing with your dogs?

4/26/2015 3:20 pm  #8

jasynkel wrote:

bu11yn00b82 wrote:

jasynkel wrote:

Exactly, that's the way to do it. Work with a good bunch of guys and keep the best of your breedings. You're not overloading yourself with dogs because you can spread them out. Just out of interest, what are you doing with your dogs?

I've only got my one for now. We mostly do obedience but we also get some hunting in. Mostly small game to keep prey drive up. We do a little bite work as well to keep her sharp. we're nothing  nothing special, we just do what we can.

4/27/2015 5:11 pm  #9

That's cool, all you need is one good dog. I'd take that over a yard full of sh!t any day. You just need to cull hard and be realistic, move forward with the best...putting dogs from working parents in the hands of guys that'll work them broadens your scope and gives you more options for the future. I wish you the best in what you're doing...the blueprint is a very simple concept but so many miss it. Take the money out of it and all you have is the dogs

4/28/2015 8:32 pm  #10

bu11yn00b82 wrote:

Uncle Ish wrote:

Kinda funny isn't it? Show dog breeders charge a house payment for pups out of non working dogs, While working breeders practically give pups away as long as you'll work them. Seems backwards to me.

Yeah man you get dogs by someone vouching for you.... Not dollar bills...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

4/30/2015 1:10 am  #11

jasynkel wrote:

That's cool, all you need is one good dog. I'd take that over a yard full of sh!t any day. You just need to cull hard and be realistic, move forward with the best...putting dogs from working parents in the hands of guys that'll work them broadens your scope and gives you more options for the future. I wish you the best in what you're doing...the blueprint is a very simple concept but so many miss it. Take the money out of it and all you have is the dogs

Show breeders miss the boat  in that repect. They know the pedigrees( they must because they use that as a sell point) but they do not really know th dogs unless they test them for work. There are a small handful that do, but for the most part, it is charge a house payment for pups out of non working parents.  I  could take the same 1k-2k And get enough working dogs to start a kennel.

10/07/2016 12:29 am  #12

nice post

Board footera