Photobucket

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2011 6:00 am  #26

Re: CONGRATS CHARNOTA's AB`s....YOUR ON THE "HOT SEAT"... ITS SHOW TIME!!!

Does this mean I'm done?? 

6/07/2011 10:15 am  #27

I just talked to MamaH
And she is a cool person for sure.
Very informative HotSeat
Thanks MamaH

Darin

http://nastybulls.webs.com/
Everybody wants to go to heaven; but nobody wants to die.

6/07/2011 1:32 pm  #28

MaMa H I guess that raps it up...thank you so much for jumping on the "hot seat" and being our guest it was a VERY informative segment none the least....and we all learned a thing or two from an old pro in the bulldog game...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

6/07/2011 2:53 pm  #29

I wouldnt say old lol.. Anyway thank you guys for the oppurtunity, I was glad to bring a different perspective to things and am glad you enjoyed it. I think that it can be very helpful to the person answering the questions also as it forces you to think about things, and evaluate things in your own program  you may forget about or take for granted.

6/08/2011 6:52 am  #30

Right on MaMa H this one was one of the more educational hot seats...

Uncle Ish

"Your humble servant"

6/08/2011 1:01 pm  #31

I think this is an awesome thing you guys who put this website have going. I really like how it stayed to focus with out all the BS drama you so often see on the message boards. Big props for putting something like this together and using it as an educational tool for others.

Heather very well written, you are a class act as always.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
John Wooden

www.norcalsbulldogs.com

6/10/2011 10:19 pm  #32

Heather.. thank you for an informative hot seat... I have a few questions

1.  Are you impressed with any of the Bully AB's out here now, if so what are some of the ones that impress you?

2.  Do you find more Bully owners are becoming receptive to mixing in standard blood?

3.  What do you feel are some of the biggest faults with standard and bully AB's?

4.  What do you feel are the biggest differences between your average standard owner/breeder and the average bully breeder?

6/11/2011 3:43 am  #33

Okay late vampire hours again...

1. I am impressed with some of the bully dogs out there. I dont care for a very extreme bully dog blame it on the midwest roots I grew up around but I have seen and can appreciate some very nice bully dogs. I like a bully dog with a bully head and an athletic not overdone body but that is solely my oppinion. I truly if I were just going to own a dog for looks purposes love the look of a good hyrbrid so I dont like my standards to look really pitty either. I love the looks of BMJ love me or hate me for it but he to me is structurally what a good bully dog should look like. I love the working ability of Mace.  These are both dogs I have had the pleasure of judging in Irondog so I have seen them personally and had more first hand account of them.  I could not possilby without forgetting someone say that I am impressed with the dogs nor could I name all of the dogs I have seen that I can say that is a nice dog, so I will leave it at saying I am impressed with a bully dog that is not overdone to the point of comprimising anything for the sake of looks.

2.  Do you find more Bully owners are becoming receptive to mixing in standard blood?

I do think they are.. I did a breeding with Vito and we are talking about doing more. Mike from pure determination has a nice Hybrid breeding on the ground. Louis from Miami just posted a hybrid litter. I think that if someone is looking to clean something up be it breathing, performance, they are on the right track by infusing some good standard blood to be able to obtain what they are looking for. I can appreciate the honesty that comes with infusing standard blood as it is typically saying my program is lacking something I am looking for so rather then reinventing the wheel or hitting a brick wall, lets just use American Bulldogs to American Bulldogs to keep the breed pure rather then using an outside breed to reach these goals. I also applaud anyone that is willing to think outside the box and do something to mix it up to try and achieve thier goals.

3.  What do you feel are some of the biggest faults with standard and bully AB's?

I would like to see more uniformity to the standards accross the breed. I dont mind the two types though some would like to see the days where they show in the same ring come back. I think that there is room for both of them, what I dont like to see is a bully ring or a standard ring where you almost have to split the two types into more types. There should not be such extreme differences between the dogs where they dont even seem like the same breed. I do believe that there is not enough emphasis on temperment when breeding.  I see alot of fear, weak nerve, bad tempermented dogs on both sides being bred. I think that there is too much emphasis on breeding dogs rather then breeding good dogs. When someone buys a dog the goal should be to make that dog the best dog that they can make it and prove that dog. Instead on both sides I see alot of breeding plans made out before the dogs are even old enough to consider breeding them. Everyone should have a vision, and every dog they add to their yard should be soemthing they hope to use in the future but there should be alot more evaluation, and proving the dogs before breeding them. I guess what I am trying to say is not every dog works out and noone should feel they need to breed a dog that they dont feel is breed worthy.

4.  What do you feel are the biggest differences between your average standard owner/breeder and the average bully breeder?

I think that there are different goals between the two groups. I dont see either side as wrong I just think that Breeders on both sides have different ideas of what they feel is breed worthy. A bully breeder will breed with the goal of conformation, where standard breeders tend to breed for performance outweighing conformation. There is a vast differnece in the personalities in the two groups of people at times, and this does not mean everyone but just as a whole.  Bully breeders tend to be a little more flashy with presentation, alot more hype if you will. Flashier websites, more aggresive approach to marketing.  There seems to be more focus on what they can say and do to make their dogs more desirable. Standard breeders tend to stick to the facts, titles, health tests, will say there should be some workers in a litter based on what the parents have accomplished. Both sides have varying degrees of personalities, and believe in their dogs equally the approach is just different. Both sides of the breed have cliques, but I think that they are more evident in bully side. There will be equal ammounts of people bashing a breeding as there are their friends stepping up to applaud the breeding. Standard people tend to just let things go a little more and only call out things that they can prove to be wrong based on facts.  A dog that has caught does not make it a catch dog so dont even try to market it as such or you will be called out,  a dog that bites a sleeve does not make it a working dog and they will ask you what titles you have to prove it, I think that standard breeders are detered from making claims that they know they will have to back up. A standard breeder will not call out anothers breeding just because of personality conflicts, they will more then likely just not comment on it, but if someone has the inside knowledge of a dog not being breed worthy you can gurantee the phones are ringing and most of the bashing goes on outside of the boards.. There is drama just not as much publicly. Standard breederds have cliques too, but they are based more on friendships and common personalities more then the dogs.

Finally I guess we cant ignore the white elephant in the room but money is a huge difference.I have seen bully dog sell for more then I have sold a whole litter for. I think that standard breeders will forgo puppy sales for the sake of the dogs going to good homes or place dogs out to working homes alot more for the sake of proving their lines rather then selling dogs. We dont have the market for pet homes like some Bully breeders do so for the sake of just moving puppies our prices seem to be alot lower. Most working homes, or trainers dont or wont pay top dollar for the dog as they feel that if they are gong to work your dog and prove your lines they are owed a discount.  One would think that a good working dog should be worth top dollar, but if a trainer who is as proven as the dog in question is interested you compromise on price based on what they can bring to the table and what they are worth to you. I hope this makes sense but in laymens terms, you do a breeding off of two proven parents, a trainer or accomplished working home is interested in that breeding, you tend to be so honored to have them work your dog you would almost just give them the dog or at a very discounted rate. Our stud fees are lower and only will go up on a titled dog.  Many standard breeders spend so much money on training, hunting, and some shows that we are always going to be losing that they emphasis on makign any money is out the window.  This is not to say that Bully breeders are doing it for the money so I hope that noone takes it that way, there is just a different market for the types making it impossible to stay within the same guidlelines.  I am sure that plenty of bully breeders with shows, food, health testing etc, lose money also. Bully breeders are not afraid to spend big money on a proven dog, where standard breeders tend to work closely with other breeders that have the same goals so often no money is exchanged.

Hope this all makes sense I am sleeping at the keyboard and rambling now lol.. 

6/11/2011 3:44 pm  #34

Great hotseat!!!  The hot seat just got hotter as this one is going to be tough to beat...thank you MamaH....

Dio
  dpa777@gmail.com

6/12/2011 3:34 am  #35

Aww thanks!! I hope to meet all of you soon. I will be working registration in Kentucky for Glynns show so if I have not met you yet please stop by and say hello.. I will be the one sitting next to the amazing woman that is Glynn and Darins mom..

This has truly been a good experience.. I went to be thinking last night about all my answers were they good enough, were they thourough enough. When I was asked to do this I vowed I would not insult anyone and I hope I have not done so.. I was thinking about the people that are in this breed, why the division not just between types but within types. I have always been one who finds the best in people and really overlooks the bad. I feel if I want the good then the bad is just something I have to deal with. I try to be a good friend to everyone even when I dont feel that they are a good person to me. I feel that all of my imperfections in life will be overlooked if I am simply just nice. I love to help, I have helped out at shows, I have judged many irondogs  just because if I am at a show that does not have it why not offer it,  it plain and simple just makes me feel good to be of assistance to someone else. I do this not for something in return just because it is not in me to sit back. God help this world if I ever win the lottery and can devote all of my time to the many causes that need me. I am not perfect, I have many flaws, I work too much, I talk to much, I sleep too little, and I become way to passionate about things that matter to me. But at the end of the day I can sleep or wee hours of the morning  anyway knowing that I will someday make a difference to someone, or I already have. This is a hard concept for many to understand and even more probably think I am insane for being so trusting, so giving, so forgiving but I dont have it in me to be any other way. I have tried being mean or strong it does not work I just cried. I have gotten two  calls from the principal in my daughters 14 years one was to tell me that they appreciated her giving up her recess to read to the special needs kids, and one recently to tell me that she had found 60 dollars cash in the bathroom and had turned it into the office. I guess someone is watching and I am leaving my legacy. I dont expect anyone to live like I live, I dont expect everyone to be given the lemons and make lemondade. This is what I choose to do. But I am going to ask you to think about a few things and forgive me for going all MamaH on you but if I can make one person look at thier actions and the reactions of others then I feel I have done my part. Dont worry there is no group hug at the end.

The internet is a powerful thing. It can be good as it brings people togehter in a forum that we can all express our oppinions, share information that could not otherwise be shared, in our case see dogs that we would never see and on and on.. It is really a great thing. With every upside there is a downside, gone our the days where people pick up the phone and iron out thier differences privately, we only learn on the internet what people choose to share, there is no tone in typing so sarcasm, humor and positive critsism have a habit of coming out as insulting. People tend to be of stronger personality behind a keyboard then they would be in person.

This board as well as others is made up of the most diverse people you would ever meet. We come from all walks of life, have all had different upbringings, we live all over the world. Some are more fortunate then others, some have seen things others only read about. All of these personalities come together and share one thing in common and that is our love and passion for our dogs. We bring our own personal experiences with us when we share that passion on our common ground. We tend to judge people without knowing what is truly going on in their lives. We look at their own actions with only our personal experience sometimes without considering what may be going on in their lives that make them act the way that they do. We have expecations that people should handle things the way that we would without wondering if that is even possilbe. I guess what I am trying to say is before we are so quick to judge someone , think about what is going on, and people need to be more up front and less defensive when they are called out. I am self employed, you wouldnt even believe what I do if I told you most of you probably already know, but if I dont work I dont get paid so I have to limit the time I take off limiting my shows, so I look to the internet to keep abreast on what is going on. I want to see it be a positive place.

Embrace your stage you have hear as a place to edcuate. Remember that tone thing and when you reply to a post that you may deem stupid, common knowledge, something that someone should know before breeding, remember that someone asking it may have not had the resources you did. Just make it so that noone is afraid to ask a question.

Remember that everyones dogs mean something different to them. To some they are thier children, to some they are a form of income, right or wrong as this concept is it sometimes I assume may be the only way for them at the time, for some they are a hobby. But for whatever reason we are here because they matter to us. It is human to find the good in something we have and overlook the bad, we all want to overlook flaws because we hace such first hand knowledge of the good. I beg you to please start to be honest, dont be so defensive when someone calls you on it, but try and listen to what they are saying. All of the perosalites bring differnt energy and just like in science certain energies become toxic but try and be more open minded and you may find that they are right. This will better you, your dogs, and our breed.

Dont breed dogs with the intention of being better then someone else, just breed dogs with the intenton of making the best dogs for you.   The dogs have plenty of venues to prove themselves, let them do it.

7/23/2011 4:43 am  #36

I agree with you , i like my sharp

8/28/2011 11:21 am  #37

Now this was an informative thread!  Thank you MamaH and the rest of the posters, this was a pleasure to read.  I get tired of gleaning substance from so many post that are nothing but negativity.

Thank you all

8/28/2011 12:30 pm  #38

Your welcome I had fun can't wait to meet lots in person in Louisville

8/31/2012 2:49 am  #39

Old world rank achievement sharing, title not sharing, unreal not sharing.

Board footera